L.A. Accuses Biggie

ImageLawyers representing the city of Los Angeles accused the family lawyers of slain rapper Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace, of going to "odious" lengths to get money from the city, via a court filing on Tuesday (June 6).

As previously reported, the city attorneys accused the Wallaces' lawyers of lying to the court - specifically when they claimed they had never seen a jailhouse informant's report detailing allegations that ex-LAPD Rampart Division Officer Rafael Perez had been implicated in B.I.G.'s murder.

Voletta Wallace, B.I.G.'s mother, and his widow, Faith Evans, sued the city of Los Angeles and others four years ago, alleging wrongful death, and accused convicted corrupt cops Rafael Perez and David Mack of conspiring to kill Biggie with Death Row CEO Marion "Suge" Knight.

The case would end in a mistrial last year, after Perry Sanders, one of the Wallaces' attorneys, would reveal that he had received an eleventh-hour tip that the LAPD had withheld evidence.

U.S. District Judge Florence-Marie Cooper, who declared the mistrial in the suit, would also award the Wallace family with $1.1 million in legal fees.

Last month, city attorney Vincent Marella would show Judge Cooper an informant's report showing that Sanders had knowledge of the eleventh hour tip as early as 2002.

Cooper would react by saying "the court had been totally deceived" and described herself as "outraged". She would then give the Wallaces' attorneys seven days to explain themselves.

Last week, the Wallaces' attorneys would respond through a court filing saying the city "gave a really incomplete view of what happened" and "defendant had woven fact in a desperate attempt to prevent additional discovery of LAPD misconduct."

In their filing yesterday, the city lawyers countered saying "when the rhetoric and ad hominem are stripped away, plaintiffs' response is revealed as no response at all."

Dorothy Wolper, one of the city's attorneys, suggested that the plaintiffs introduced the claim of an eleventh-hour tip because "plaintiffs were not happy with the way the trial was developing."

She asked that the judge to stop discovery and allow a new trial to begin "as soon as its calendar will allow."

Sanders would respond by saying he never misled the court and that he had issued significant information about the informant's report to the city's attorneys in 2002 and 2005.

"The record speaks for itself," said Sanders.

Notorious B.I.G.'s murder still remains unsolved. He was killed on March 9, 1997, after a party at the PetersenAutomotiveMuseum in Los Angeles.

Discuss this topic