De La Soul's Boycott Works: Tommy Boy Postpones Re-Releases To Renegotiate
Rap group De La Soul won a small victory in an ongoing battle to be fairly compensated for future royalties for several of their early releases.
Controversy erupted earlier
this week, when De La Soul took to their social media channels to encourage their fans to boycott the re-release of their classic album 3 Feet High and Rising, which is approaching its 30th anniversary.
De La blasted Tommy Boy for taking up to 90% of the profits from their early catalog, leaving the group 10% for themselves.
A number of influential rappers echoed the group's calls for a boycott, including Questlove and Nas.
“Because Tommy Boy has not had the opportunity to sit down together with De La Soul and finalize our negotiations — something we’ve wanted to do for months — we have decided to postpone the digital release of their catalog scheduled for tomorrow,” the statement reads. “We know fans are eager to hear these amazing recordings and we are hopeful for a quick resolution.”
That may take some time judging by De La Soul's response.