Gunplay’s Robbery and Assault Charges Dismissed
The armed robbery and aggravated assault charges against Gunplay have been dismissed by a Miami-Dade judge because the prosecution is unable to locate the victim in the case.
Gunplay (Richard Morales) was accused of attacking and robbing Turron Woodside in his Miami office. The incident was captured on Woodside’s surveillance video.
In the video, a man, authorities say is Gunplay, can be seen physically attacking Woodside and garnishing a firearm before leaving with items said to be a cell phone and a gold chain.
Even with the video, the State Attorney’s office had to dropped the charges because they were unable to serve Woodside with a subpoena to testify in the case. Without Woodside authenticating the video the prosecution was not allowed to present the footage as evidence in court.
“Video alone is not enough to convict an individual of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt,” officials told TMZ. “Although the armed robbery is captured on the victim’s surveillance system, the victim, Turron Woodside, is uncooperative of the prosecution of this defendant Richard Morales.”
Gunplay turned himself in to police on October 10, 2012 after a warrant for his arrest had been issued in May of that year. Gunplay had recently been involved in a very publicized brawl at the BET Hip Hop Awards just weeks before reporting to police. The Triple C’s rapper was then placed on house arrest while awaiting trial.
Now officially a free man Gunplay says he’s ready to focus back on his rap career. “Today I am grateful and blessed that the case was dismissed … I plan on picking up where I left off with my music and making hits with my upcoming debut album,” he’s reported telling TMZ.
Gunplay released his most recent mixtape Cops & Robbers in January. His debut studio album, Medellin, is currently scheduled for release this year on Def Jam Records.