Michael Jackson’s Physician to Surrender; Manslaughter Charges Expected
The man who Los Angeles authorities believe is responsible for the death of Michael Jackson is expected to surrender to them this week, according to CNN.com.
Although prosecutors have not announced any charges, Miranda Sevcik, a spokeswoman for the legal team of Dr. Conrad Murray, says the physician has not been told how or where he should surrender.
Nevertheless, Murray’s attorney, Ed Chernoff tells CNN that his client is “more than ready to surrender and answer to any charges."
Murray has been at the center of the ongoing investigation surrounding the death of Jackson, who died unexpectedly on June 25. The music pioneer’s passing was ruled by the Los Angeles County coroner as a homicide resulting from a combination of drugs that included propofol and lorazepam.
Murray has kept a relatively low profile since the tragedy after proclaiming his innocence via a YouTube video that was posted last year. In anticipation of possible charges against him, Sevcik revealed that Murray traveled to Los Angeles from his home in Houston, Texas last week.
Murray expects the charges will be announced within 24 to 48 hours, she added. Murray’s anticipated surrender marks the latest chapter in the ongoing aftermath of Jackson’s death. At the time of Jackson’s passing, Murray had been treating the singer for insomnia for six week. A police affidavit noted that Murray told investigators he had given Jackson three anti-anxiety drugs to help him.
It wasn’t until Jackson finally began sleeping that Murray said he left the bedroom for "about two minutes maximum." The affidavit further stated that "upon his return, Murray noticed that Jackson was no longer breathing." As he crooner was rushed to a UCLA Medical Center, Murray was with him. Jackson was later pronounced dead, despite attempts to give him CPR.
The newest development in the Jackson investigation comes just days after the King of Pop received a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year’s Grammy awards on Sunday (Jan. 31).
Prior to his two oldest children accepting the award, Jackson was honored with a heartfelt tribute that included the premiere of a video for his 1995 single, “Earth Song” as well as a live performance featuring Usher, Smokey Robinson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson and Celine Dion. Jackson’s philanthropy continues to make news as the world celebrates the 25th anniversary of the release of the song, “We Are the World.”
The1985 single, which was co-written by Jackson and Lionel Ritchie, featured the two singers as well as an all-star roster of artists that came together to raise money for famine relief in Africa. A new version of “We Are the Word” featuring an all new line up of entertainers was recorded Monday (Feb.1) in the same studio where the original song was made.
Those participating in the remake included Usher, Hudson, Dion, Faith Evans, Miley Cyrus, Akon, Justin Bieber, Anthony Hamilton, Harry Connick Jr., Tyrese Gibson, Natalie Cole and Keri Hilson as well as rappers Snoop Dogg, LL Cool J, Drake, Kanye West, Kid Cudi and Lil Wayne.
Proceeds from the updated version of “We Are the World” will go toward relief efforts in Haiti.