DJ Premier Reveals Best Albums Of 2009
Famed producer DJ Premier has released his list of the top 20 albums of 2009.
According to DJ Premier, he based his list solely on “dope beats, dope rhymes, scratching and cutting, creativity, uniqueness, originality and overall packaging of the product’s integrity.”
Blaq Poet’s Tha Blaqprint was number one on DJ Premier's list, while Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx 2 placed at number two on the respected producer’s list.[Editor's Note: Tha Blaqprint was entirely produced by DJ Premier, save two songs.]
OC and AG's Oasis was number three, while Masta Ace and Ed OG's Arts and Entertainment landed at number four.
Number five was Obie Trice’s album Special Reserve.
“I don’t care if you sold a million copies, that does not make it dope,” DJ Premier stated on his blog. “This is how I got famous in my career, so the rules still apply. I went through more than 60 LP’s released in ‘09 on major and indie labels over and over to get it as close as I possibly could to being satisfied with the list.”
Honorable mentions included The Alchemist’s Chemical Warfare and Beanie Sigel's Broad Street Bully album.
DJ Premier’s Top 20 albums of 2009 are listed below:
1. Blaq Poet - Tha Blaqprint
2. Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx II
3. OC and AG - Oasis
4. A&E - Arts and Entertainment
5. Obie Trice - Special Reserve
6. Royce Da 5’9 - Street Hop
7. Marco Polo & Torae - Double Barell
8. Statik Selektah - Pre Game EP
9. Jay-Z - Blueprint 3
10. Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse
11. Canibus & Keith Murray - Undergods
12. Diamond District - In the Ruff
13. Saigon & Statik Selektah - All In A Days Work
14. KRS-One & Buckshot - Survival Skillz
15. Ghostface Killah - Ghostdini: Wizard of Poetry
16. M.O.P. - Foundation
17. 50 Cent - Before I Self Destruct
18. Method Man & Redman - Blackout 2
19. La Coka Nostra - A Brand You Can Trust
20. DJ JS-1 - No Sell Out